Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 11

Bonjour

I don't know if I should call this the best day in Haiti. Part of you says there should be no such thing. But if there could be one, this might be it.

It's Wednesday, which means a journey to the orphanage in Port au Prince, again. We were joined by Yvener as our interpreter, Vern, Suzanne RPT-Ph D and Claire RPT.

Fore the long to trip to the city, I sat in the back with Yvener. Yvener lost both his parents in the earth quake. I believe he now lives with a relative in the town of Verette, just outside Deschapelles. I forget how old he is, but I'd ball park it @ 18. He speaks English really well. He's a great guy.

We leave @ 7AM. As we travel out, we see many, many kids heading to school. Here in Haiti, most schools are private. The kids are all dressed in their finely pressed uniforms. Passing some kids in Mirabeles, I hear some them shouting as we pass..."Hey blancs...oooo chev blanc!!!". I chuckled....Yvener says,"you hear them?!". He was surprised. I said, yeah, I kinda like it.

Our driver for the orphanage trips is has been Jafar...like the genie . He's a fairly large guy, a little darker than most Haitians and kinda hairy. I said to Yvener, he's so quiet and stoic up there. He appears unflappable. It's like he's a big body guard that you don't want to mess with. He really just doesn't speak English so well, so this is the effect.

The orphanage brought a few castings. All of them were AKs as a result of the earth quake. One of which is a guy that plays for the Tarantulas, and amputee soccer team in Port au Prince. Turns out, Suzanne knows his coach. There were gabbing like long lost friends, though they had just met, as I was casting him.

While we were at the orphanage, Vern got a call from Jill RN, our case manager at the clinic. She said a new patient showed up at the clinic. We left no clinicians there. Vern asks if he's a BK or AK...answer was BK. He moves the phone from his mouth to tell me what's up. I said, suggested to put Cira and Paul on it. Together, they'll know what to do. Vern and I had the AK casting brims, and it is better to start with BKs anyway, but talk about a perfect situation. This is what we all needed.

We finished early and Suzanne suggested we go to the U.N. For lunch. Apparently, they have an outdoor, roof top grill. This place was unreal. It was a global melting pot cafeteria...on a roof, under a tent. I had a cheeseburger, fries and a coke, while Haitians, Canadians, French, Germans, Swiss, and a few other blancs gabbed around us. Unreal.

As we prepared to return home, I asked to ride shot gun. I needed to get the front seat view of the spectacle that is driving a car in Haiti. Whoa...the van's a stick!! I hadn't even noticed. Twice, I said, Jafar, let me drive!! Twice, he threw me the keys. Twice, I assumed he was just kidding and just passed them back. Still, I wonder.

Don't mistake me. I know what this Haitian driving is. It is fast, slow, then fast again and tight. People and animals of all shapes and size are in danger. The road belongs to the biggest, ballsiest vehicle. That's the rules. Yvener says, in Haiti it is known that if you hit a person, you simply keep driving. If you stop, you will be beaten and probably killed.
We stopped for a minute in PoP to get some essentials, toilet paper...still haven't used a volume even close to the last group.... Rum for Claire's boyfriend, coffee and some Toro (Haitian Redbull).

On the way home, I chatted with Jafar in broken creolish. He'll be driving almost 12 hrs by the days end. I offered him half my Toro...he said he already had one today, and that's his limit. ;)

The ride home brought one and only one casualty...poor little rooster. Maybe I will sleep better.

Upon arriving back at the clinic, Cira and Paul were pretty excited about their 1st solo patient casting. They were like excited kids. The cast was already filled and modified, laying out with the measurement card, so Vern and I could check. It looked supreme. Though I haven't seen the patient, I'd bet money on the fit. I am sad I won't be here to see those boys fit that leg. I am proud of them.

Dinner was some cabrite, and rice with peas and lentils. Madame Bebe and I played our usual game of her trying to take my beer, when I ain't even done yet...and I get very angry...MADAME BEBE!!! Fa fanne!!! I'll bite that hand if you get it too close. Chomp!!!! Though...deep down...she really misses her piti piti bebe...Brian H.

After dinner, Vern announced that he made a few special purchases at the market, some red wine for he and Janet, and a couple Cuban cohibas for me and him.

After a great call to my family...anyone remember how to factor a number?...kids, math homework... Vern, Janet and I sat on the front porch and enjoyed the drinks and cigars. Suzanne and Claire came over for a bit, to say goodbye. Claire returns home to Scotland tomorrow.

The night was so clear. We turned out the porch light, and with no light pollution from typical American cities, the stars were so impressively bright.

Cheers
Bon nuit
Chev Blanc
PDA

5 comments:

  1. with all this dancing around about driving, I have decided to institute a few days of prayer service for roosters .... just in case

    love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK for us lay people. What is AK and BK?

    Your teachings are paying off. Your techs seem very motivated and eager to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did someone say Cohibas? Don't forget your Big Bro!!!

    I'm proud of you Lil Bro, You're doing great things and really making a difference.

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, stop drinking and get back to work! Kidding aside, we hope you enjoyed a well deserved beer and relaxation.

    This is an adventure of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul -- I read your stories every day with my morning coffee and love every word. It's amazing what you're doing, and YOU are such an excellent "absorber" of new experiences, cultures, people, you're the perfect person to be doing what you're doing! I'm happy for you! cheers and enjoy your weekend! ~ Jen :)

    ReplyDelete