Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 0

Bonswa
So the back story for our Non-Prosthetic readers is that our recently retired CEO, Van Sabel, set up the Hanger Ivan R Sabel Foundation. The announcement of Van's retirement and the start up of the foundation preceded the earth quake in Haiti by only about 9 mos.
Beginning early this year the foundation, together with the assistance of generous donations, several O&P manufacturers, and Hanger P&O, Inc. , set up a P&O clinic at HAS(Hopital Albert Schweitzer). The hospital is in Deschapelles, which is far enough outside Port au Prince to not have been effected by the earth quake.
For almost 9 mos there have been rotations of 2 practitioners or more going down for 2 week stays to man the clinic. Additionally, a lead practitioner has been stationed at the clinic for 3 mos rotations.
Good friends and colleagues including Todd Sleeman from Farmington, CT, Matt Mikosz from Southington, CT and Brian Heckathorn from Mass. have already preceded me on rotations through Haiti
My team leader will be Vern Hostetler, originally from Zainsville Ohio. I will join him along with Brendan Irwin CPO from Ocala, Fl.

I didn't sleep too well last night. Today, I am more anxious than I think I have ever been. I used to say I was scared. My friend, Paul, tells me that I am not scared, I am anxious. He's smarter than me.

I got to watch my daughter, Anna's soccer game this AM. She scored a goal, killing those meanies, as she says. I, of course, pretend the goal was for me. I will miss Ben's game, today.... Man it's tough

I will miss many games and many other things my kids will do for the next couple weeks. Saying goodbye to Ben, Anna and my wife Bonnie was pretty darn rough. I have gone on a few work trips, but the tenor of this trip is far different.

I have never gone this far, this long, to a 3rd world country...and for the moment, alone. It won't be easy on my Bonnie, but then again, she just might be tougher than me.

I am off to Miami today. I should be able to meet up with Brendan, there. We will catch the 6:50am to Port au Prince tomorrow.

To all travelers. I was accompanied on my 1st flight by a pair of 6mos old twins and a dog. They must speak the same language, cause they were screaming and yelping at each other for 2 hrs in the row right in front of me.

Like I tell everyone, I am a very lucky man. :)
PDA

8 comments:

  1. for anxiety,

    press on the inner wrist, 3 fingers width above the crease (@ pericardium 6) its bilateral

    repeat as needed

    anxiety is an undiagnosed epidemic

    it comes with life on earth, for every body

    separation from family reminds you about a separation you imagined long ago and thought real then and yet .... but it never happened

    Renard speaks of this in the book Ben has

    so its not situational it is like an old trauma awakened for a time, triggered by events of the day

    the good news is that you are not an anxious body you are spirit, God's son, and his love showers you always all ways and it radiates through you to bless the wounded ones in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!south windsor won 3,0.it was a great game.I miss you love ben. Dear daddy. I miss you so so so so so so so much and love you so much. from Anna. Dear dad, I miss you so so so so so much. From Buster.

    Hope you have a good flight tomorrow morning...keep us posted...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap!we tied east hampton,or as anna would have said we crushed those meanies.Will scored a goal in the first minute.I am going to the uconn game this friday.Love ben.Dear daddy i really nead a new chew toy,by the way how are the shoes in haiti.Even if the shoes are rock solid I'll still bite through them.love the little devil.Dear Daddy, I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much and I miss you that much. From Anna. P.S. When are you going to come home? Love you! - Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are proud of you my friend...stay strong...
    xo Winiarski & Co.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be fine, especially once you start working and using your many talents.

    You know, every time I go on a trip; I have to talk with you, T & J before I leave. That's my anxiety. But then I just say, OK God, the rest is up to you.

    When I think of all the people you will be helping; it just gives me goosebumps.

    Love Mom OX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie "might" be tougher? Need I say more.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul

    What a great soccer game Sunday! Ben played GREAT - he played the majority of the game. The whole team played well. And Anna went to Foster Farm with Lauren.

    Your family is doing fine and keeping very busy, but they miss you. Bonnie is good.

    We are very proud of you Paul and proud of the work you are doing.
    Love, Pop and Grammy

    ReplyDelete